- To provide opportunities for people with a physical disability in sport, especially for those people presently not catered for by other existing disabled sporting associations in the State of New South Wales.
- To devise sports that enable participation by people regardless of their physical disabilities. These sports will allow participation by competitors using either power driven or manual wheelchairs.
- To encourage and promote participation in these specifically designed sports.
- To assist in the provision of necessary equipment to enable people with physical disabilities to take an active interest in such sports.
- To raise the necessary funds for achieving the objectives of the Association.
- To co-operate in the organisation of all sporting events impacting on the Association.
- To invest monies of the Association, not immediately required for any of its objectives, in such a manner as from time to time may be determined.
- To do all such other lawful things as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the objects of the Association.
Affiliation NSW Wheelchair Rugby League
About To provide opportunities for people with a physical disability in sport, especially for those people presently not catered for by other existing disabled sporting associations in the State of New South Wales.
N.S.W. Push & Power Sports Inc. is an organisation that provides the opportunity for athletes with disabilities to become involved in sporting activities that are not generally catered for by any other organisation. We are unique in that we do not concentrate our efforts on any one particular type of physical disability and that we combine both manual and electric type wheelchair dependent athletes in our games.
We are an affiliate of NSW Wheelchair Rugby League (N.S.W. W. R.L.) who assist us greatly, which enables us to provide a Rugby League competition year to year.
The core of what was to become N.S.W. Push & Power Sports Inc. was formed in the early 1980’s when a group of dedicated friends and sports fanatics would meet at the old Mount Druitt Roller Skating Rink on Saturday mornings to play sports – mainly a modified version of Rugby League with the idea of Hockey starting to come together. Larry Stone, the proprietor of the venue, happily donated two hours prior to his opening time each week to allow the games to be played. At one stage, Larry fought with the Blacktown City Council to allow him to build a roof over the venue so that the sports could be played on wet days as well.
Outside of this extremely generous assistance, the players would organise everything else themselves through their own networks of contacts including transportation to and from the Mount Druitt venue (a feat that would be relatively easy to do using todays technological marvels but was fraught with its own set of problems before the advent of E-mail or mobile phones). Friends and carers were often recruited to referee games or run the lines. This gave physically disabled persons of all ages and gender an outlet to participate in sports that would have otherwise been closed off to them and planted the seeds for the future.
In the beginning, these young athletes had to rely on the charity of individuals to achieve their aims but over time, various sporting clubs, non sporting organisations and other individuals came forward with sponsorship to enable a more organised sporting competition to be realised.
N.S.W. Push & Power Sports Inc. is an organisation that provides opportunities for disabled athletes to be involved in sporting activities that are not generally catered for by any other organisation. We are unique in that we do not concentrate on any one particular physical disability and that both manual and power-drive wheelchair dependent athletes can participate side by side.
The core of what has become N.S.W. Push & Power Sports Inc. was formed in the mid 1980’s when a group of friends with disabilities met on weekends to play sports at Mt Druitt.